Wednesday 23 August 2017

SUMMER OF '62

                           



A raw innocence, a happiness on seeing new things,however mundane they were,an excitement when I met hitherto unknown kith and kin-these were the trademark experiences of the summer holidays.From the bustle of city life,where we were ever rushed to do any chore,here was a change.No one had to coax us to wake up , to go about our activities or constantly nag to eat at the proper time or reprimand us for something not done properly.Yes,this was heaven- a remote picturesque village ,with everybody going about one's  routine in a relaxed manner.There were no constraints and seemingly all of us were carefree and roamed about fluttering like butterflies.

This must also have been an awakening for me.Though ours was an age of comparative ease than the children of today,we still had competition,we still had to move up in life.Here, during that holiday  everything felt different. We got up on our own, to the chirping of birds , feeling refreshed by the smell of Patti"s  aromatic coffee,queuing up for that  delightful drink, much unlike the daily humdrum of gulping down whatever Amma gave without as much as tasting what went inside. Then we wandered wildly,playing some games like carom,word  building,just chat or sing film songs and the best entertainment was listening to All India Radio, not feeling a tinge of boredom.My two girl cousins,from another part of the country,were my constant companions.I cannot imagine myself doing  all  that again. My brood?Will they be able to even understand what I am talking about?

I saw the warmth of relationships- mother and daughter,sisters,sisters in law,cousins,nieces,all bound by a very strong tie of love and affection.So many women sharing the burden of caring for the innumerable children.We, on our part,were ever on time, hungry to gobble up the absolutely divine food given to us. And then disappear to pursue harmless entertainment till the next meal beckoned us!There were no fancy equipment but the simple  things of those simple times,the ambience,the companions-these left an indelible mark in my young mind.

The most important impression was the relationships of the elders.They created in my mind a desire to be like them, loving, giving , adjusting and adapting.When I grew up, I understood that to be kind and affectionate to all, is something very demanding and at times a challenge.I admire those strong women.I was a child then but resolved to follow their footsteps in future.Their  way of handling all of us, instilled in me a virtue that saw goodness in all children, making me a fairly good mother,very fair and kind Teacher and an indulgent,adoring grandmother.All that happened  because of the seeds my elders sowed inside me, so many years ago,in the summer of '62.

No comments:

Post a Comment