Monday 24 October 2016

Kaspar

There was a time when I was dead set against having pets at home.From far,a neighbour's dog was cute and when they described the antics of their pets,I admired their enthusiasm more than the dog's mischiefs.So on that Sunday afternoon,when the kids and the hubby decided to go on a tour of various dog breeders' places,I joined them just to be with them.They also promised that they would only look around,knowing my reluctance to have a four legged monster at home.

Prior to this  had been many occasions ,when neglected neighbourhood dogs found our home a safe haven.I remember a dog rapping at our door in the middle of the night,knowing well that he definitely would be fed well,given a cosy corner to curl in.And Jahangir our block's watchdog,who followed me everywhere I went,stopping only when his boundary ended.There was Seetalakshmi,who waddled into our compound knowing her mid morning snack awaited her.The names were fondly chosen because we wanted "traditional "names-not just Tommy or Jimmy!

Then ,on this lazy Sunday afternoon,I went out not knowing that my life would  turn upside down,all my past resolutions would fly out of the window and that one darling black ball would roll into my life,change my outlook on pets,why,even my entire perspective of life in general.That was our first stop and as we walked into the sparkling house with white marble tiles,little did I anticipate how my life was about to change.After a few minutes of polite conversation,the breeder brought out this black bundle from inside.This was love at first sight!

My next move puzzled my brood.I did not want to go anywhere else,no more options.My pet had chosen me!Even then,I felt squeamish touching the shiny black  toy.Kids totally handled him.And we brought him home.What followed was chaos!He pooped and peed everywhere,I did wonder what was going inside that so much was coming out.He hid himself in the smallest of niches and to locate him at first was fun and then turned exasperating.Ofcourse the kids disappeared shortly,feigning to finish their "projects" and I was left alone to clean up the mess  little Blackie was creating.Thus was spent the first evening and night,by the end of which I had a splitting headache and a huge question mark in my mind -"have I done right by bringing this hooligan inside my home?"But no,I could not bear to think of returning him to the breeder.

The  black ball was the favourite of the area.The speed at which he grew!We pored over books with quaint doggy names-settled for Kaspar which was not in the books.I felt he looked like Casper the friendly ghost!But the spelling had to be unique.Everything centred around him.Everyone doted on him.He commanded attention constantly and we were all too eager to please him.Now I could visibly feel the faithfulness and warmth of this beautiful creature.So handsome,so handsome!He developed tan also and was suitable to go on ramps at dog shows-that is what anyone who saw him said.Not only what we fed him but also the love and attention we gave him ,made him a model, I suppose.Fourteen years of bliss with this delight changed each one of us into better human beings.

He was good and problem free and decided to go the same way he lived.Went for his evening walk,had a small snack  AND THEN after a few hours of agony, he died.When I think about that evening,I choke even now,a decade later.We both sat next to him,could see he was in pain,even after giving him medicines,knew he was slipping but also knew he felt comforted by our presence and sat through the night.Early morning,he was gone.He  gave us a sort of love that no human being,even our own children,gave us.Even through his pain and gasping,his eyes were fixed on his master and we hoped that  he understood the love we had for him ,felt comforted as he was leaving.

Now,I have gone back to my original view " no pets"Why pour your heart's capacity of love and care,knowing that one day,that  wonder  would be snatched away from you?I also can now never think "a dog's life" is thankless.Maybe to be born again as Kaspar is something I would wish.Noble,faithful,selflessly loving.Who would not be willing to be something like that? And to have been loved and cared for like he was.No one, nothing can replace him.Will we,can we think of replacing someone dear to us,another human being? Kaspar ,for us,is irrreplaceable. He lives on in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment